Wednesday 20 May 2015

Losing our minds...

This week in Budapest
It has been a glorious week in Budapest. Warm weather (it was 31 degrees today!!), great sights and looong days of walking.

Despite previously raving on this blog about the awesome - and cheap - public transport in Budapest, we have been relying on our feet this week... and walking 15km a day!!

Slight downside is my fave walking shoes are already getting a bit trashed - damn you uneven cobblestones!! Plus, I am tripping about five times a day... On the upside it gave me an excuse to buy these cheetah themed Vans which are super cool.



And super appreciated since in addition to wearing down my shoes, I managed to break/lose two of my four pairs of earrings this week. Ach, it happens...

This week we wandered all over the city. We checked out the castle (which now houses a gallery), visited Europe's biggest synagogue, drank a crazy amount of hipster coffee and went to several ruin bars (I'm on the wagon for the rest of May!!!) and a couple of farmers markets.

I would love to tell you about all the authentic Hungarian food we have tried but actually we've had dinner at the Hummus Bar every single day this week. For shame, right? But, before you say anything, our apartment has no kitchen, so we can't cook. The hummus bar is 2 mins away and has Phil's 2 favourite foods (the aforementioned hummus & freshly baked laffe bread) - it makes him so happy!! Plus there is plenty of meaty goodness for me - especially in the form of life-giving chicken soup which I have also become a tad obsessed with.

We did have a Hungarian style lunch in a restaurant on one of the epic walks. I had a bean stew with four kinds of sausage - it was amazing and so huge I couldn't even get through half. The veggie options were limited, so Phil ordered cold fruit soup...


Yes, that is a huge pile of whipped cream...

I've blogged about our apartment experiences before. The one we have this week has some highlights - an incredible location, coffee machine and super comfy mattress. The downside is this terrifying ladder that is barely attached to the wall and leads to the bedroom.



Every time I step on it, Safety Phil tells me to tread lighter... and has more recently taken to asking me if I really need to go upstairs - ah, you mean where we sleep?? Yup, kind of.

We didn't do everything on the list this week - I was keen to try out rollerblading for the first time in, say, 20 years. But we discovered that the skate park had trekked for MILES in the baking sun to visit was about the size of a mini golf course and full of 12 year olds. Crushing!!

On the upside, I think the highlight of the week was discovering the Zoo cafe - like the cat cafe in Melbourne insofar as there are cats running around but also turtles, lizards, snakes, hedgehogs, cockatoos and more.


Kitty at zoo cafe

Did I mention that we've lost our minds
I say this because tomorrow we are taking a twenty two hour train ride to Sofia in Bulgaria!

We previously took a night train from Munich to Budapest which went pretty well - not the best night's sleep ever but a fun experience.

I knew this one was a longer train trip when we booked our ticket, but it was only today that it dawned on me what we'd signed up for. Basically a flight to Europe but with no breaks... Who would do this to themselves????

I will be sure to let you know how it goes... After Sofia it's off to Greece for sunshine and spanikopitas- can't wait!!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment